Join us on our first out-of-province tour to the ever more exciting city of Winnipeg.
When: June 01 – 05, 2015 (Monday to Friday)
We will see:
- Olympus: The Greco-Roman Collections of Berlin – “The gods and goddesses are coming to the Winnipeg Art Gallery. Winnipeg is one of only two North America stops on this monumental tour of ancient Greek and Roman art. Featuring over 160 works, including marble statues, bronze statuettes, terracotta vases, and jewelry, dating from the 5th century BC to the 2nd century AD”.
- Canadian Museum of Human Rights: this architectural wonder will open shortly; it is the only museum in North America dedicated to the exploration of the topic of human rights
- Royal Canadian Mint: another architectural wonder, the Mint produces every Canadian coin in circulation plus coins for 75 other countries.
- St. Boniface (the French Quarter) – Cathedral & Cemetery – “Father of Manitoba Louis Riel is among the prominent Manitobans interred in the cemetery, and the cathedral’s magnificent façade is a sight to behold”.
- St. Boniface Museum – this two story oak log structure is the oldest building in Winnipeg; constructed by the Grey Nuns who arrived in Manitoba from Quebec in 1844.
- The Manitoba Museum – renowned heritage & science centre. Of particular note: the Hudson Bay Company gave its collection of artifacts (mainly First Nation and Metis) to the Museum in 1994.
- Riel House – the Riel family home
- Maison Gabrielle Roy – house where celebrated author Gabrielle Roy was born in 1909.
- St. Andrew’s on the Red – oldest stone church in Western Canada. This 1831 church ceiling is built in the shape of an inverted York boat.
- Manitoba Legislative Building – neoclassical building completed in 1920
- Lower Fort Garry National Historic Site – early Hudson Bay Company fur trading post; features one of the finest collections of early stone buildings in Western Canada
At the present time, we want to see if there are enough “interested” people to forge ahead in planning this. No “commitment” is required at this time, but if you are interested, please sign the “interested” sheet in the office, or phone Sue (403-269-8382) or Ralph Dilworth (403-217-5398), your tour coordinator.
Depending on numbers, we are looking at package deal pricing ie. flights and hotel together (there are some good deals on Expedia right now).